Introduction: With the recent implementation of the K-12 curriculum in the Philippines, teachers are challenged to develop relevant, research-based, and responsive instructional materials.
Purpose: The main purpose of this study was to develop and validate learning material in physics based on selected least mastered competencies for tenth grades. The researcher developed a set of learning material which covers the topic mirror and lenses.
Methodology: This study utilized the descriptive-developmental research focus on the development of instructional material. Mean and Mean Percentage Score (MPS) used to analyse descriptive data. Instructional materials support learning content, allow students to engage in the concepts application and provide an opportunity for evaluation. They are developed to help teachers facilitate learner’s prior knowledge, assist them to process and understand the new learning, and eventually aid them apply newly acquired knowledge to their practical lives.
Results: The result of the study showed that students has low mastery in the topic light, specifically in mirror and lenses. The developed set of learning materials was anchored to the ADDIE model: the Analysis, Design, Development, Implementation, and Evaluation.
Recommendations/Classroom Implications: Teachers should develop learning materials based on the least mastered competencies of the students. The proposed learning materials is recommended for use in Grade 10 Physics classes. Further, the proposed learning materials should be subjected for further research to determine its effectiveness in improving the performance of students in science 10 Physics.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
- Aquino , L. B. (2011). Study habits and attitudes of freshmen students: Implications for academic intervention programs. Journal of Language Teaching and Research, 2 (5), 1116-1121.
- Bauzon, P. (2009). Foundations of curriculum development and management. Mandaluyong. National Book Store.
- Bautista, R.G. (2013). The reciprocal determinism of online scaffolding in sustaining a community of inquiry in physics. Journal of Technology and Science Education (JOTSE), 3(2), 89-97. http://dx.doi.org/10.3926/jotse.71
- Bayle, N. (2004). Development and validation of laboratory manual in Physics. Doctoral Dissertation Eulogio “Amang” Rodriguez Institute of Science and Technology, Manila.
- Cabido, M. (1992). Effectiveness of Mathematics curriculum of the computer sceince course of union christian college in promoting research readiness. Unpublished Master
- Instructional Design. (2015). The ADDIE model. Available from: http:// www.instructionaldesign.org/models/addie.html.
- Jalmasco, N. M. (2014). Science Education Realities. The Manila Times. http://www.manilatimes.net/science-educationrealities/100096.
- Kim, B. (2006). Reading at the instructional level with children identified as learning disabled: Potential implication for response-to-intervention. School Psychology Quarterly, 22, 297-313.
- Lavigne, G. L., Vallerand, R. J., & Miquelon, P. A. (2007). Motivational model of persistence in science education: A self-determination theory approach. European Journal of Psychology and Education, 22, 351-360. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF03173432
- McDonald, C. V. (2016). Evaluating junior secondary science textbook usage in Australian schools. Research in Science Education, 46(4), 481-509.
- Meyer, D. Z., Meyer, A. A., Nabb, K. A., Connell, M. G., & Avery, L. M. (2013). Atheoretical and empirical exploration of intrinsic problems in designing inquiry activities. Research in Science Education, 43(1), 57-76.
- Pingel, F. (2010). Guidebook on textbook research and textbook revision. 2nd ed. United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization.
- Rogayan, D. V., Dollete, L. F. (2009). Development and validation of physical science workbook for senior high school. Science Education International, 30 (4), 284-290.
- Roseman, J. E., Kulm, G., & Shuttleworth, S. (2001). Putting textbooks to the test. http://www.project2061.org/publications/ articles/articles/enc.htm.
- Şendurur, E., Ersoy, E., & Çetin, I. (2016). The design and development of creative instructional materials: The role of domain familiarity for creative solutions. International Journal of Technology and Design Education, 28(2), 507-522.
- Snowman, J., & Biehler, R. (2006). (11th ed). Psychology Applied to Teaching. Houghton Mifflin Company.
- Trumbull, D. J., Bonney, R., & Grudens-Schuck, N. (2005). Developing materials to promote inquiry: Lessons learned. Science Education, 89(6), 879-900.
- World Economic Forum (WEF). (2018). Global Competitiveness Report (2017-2018). http://www3.weforum.org/docs/GCR2017-2018/05FullReport/TheGlobalCompetitivenessReport2017%E2%80%932018.pdf.
- Yang, W., & Liu, E. (2016). Development and validation of an instrument for evaluating inquiry-based tasks in science textbooks. International Journal of Science Education, 38(18), 2688-2711.