Introduction: Stakeholders are concerned with dismal academic performance in examination organized by the West African Examination Council (WAEC) and the National Examination Council (NECO). Results released by these examination bodies have been poor over a period of time.
Purpose: The purpose of the study is to examine the influence of community violence and psychosocial problems on the academic performance of senior secondary school students in Kano metropolis.
Methodology: A survey research design was adopted for this study. A sample of 363 senior secondary school students from 10 Government senior secondary schools in Kano metropolis were selected. Data were obtained using three research instruments (ESACOV, UCLA Reaction Index and MEATS) with reliability co-efficient of 0.74, 0.72 respectively. Analysis of data was by the use of percentages, frequency counts to answer the research questions as t-test and one-way analysis of variance (ANOVA) were used to test the hypotheses.
Results: Results obtained showed that students exposed to community violence manifest some psychosocial problems which include depression, feeling of insecurity, loss of memory etc. The post-traumatic stress disorder exhibited by students exposed to community violence include displacement, bereavement, separation, involvement in hostilities among other males and female students exposed to community violence were found to differ in academic performance.
Recommendations: It was recommended among other things that extra efforts need to be made by teachers to help students exposed to community violence to improve on their academic performance. The study concluded that there is a significant relationship between psychosocial problems and academic performance of students exposed to community violence.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
- Amina, S. O. (2012). Post-traumatic stress disorder in children and adolescent: Need for psychological counseling. International journal of human psychology, 2 (30) 90- 100.
- Anakwe, A. I. (2005). Psycho-social traumas of violence exposed adolescent: Need for psychological counseling. International Journal of Human Psychology, 2(3),19- 100.
- Awotunde, P. O., & Ugodulunwa, C. A. (2004). Research methods in education. Fab Anieh (Nig) Ltd..
- Battle, T. M., & Lewis, S. (2002). Manual for the youth self-report. University of Vermont, Department of Psychiatry.
- Bajah, B. J (2005). Transmission of aggression through limitation of aggressive models. Journal of abnormal and social psychology, 63, 75-82.
- Boyd, V. D. (2003). Understanding and controlling community violence. Behavioral Pediatrics 2, 11, 74-83.
- Crosnoe, J. (2004). Structure equation modeling in practice: A review and recommended two-step approach. Psychological bulletin, 103, 41-53.
- Dennis, G. B. (2006). The effects of cumulative violence exposure on children living in urban neighborhoods. Paper presented at the meeting of the American psychological society convention, Washington, D.C.
- Kadala, I. T. (2011). The role of exposure to community violence and developmental problems among inner city youth. Development and psychopathology, 10, 10-16.
- Kazeem, S. (2020). Increasing rate of violence among adolescent youths. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 65, 186 – 206.
- Lans, P., Fergus, F., & Zimmerman, M. (2005). Community violence exposure hazards. Journal of Adolescent Development, 25, 171-181.
- Lewis, E. (2005). Contextualizing community violence and its effect. An ecological model of parent-child interdependent coping. Journal of Interpersonal violence violence, 20, 55-71. doi; 10.1177/0886260505276833.Pubmed.
- Maduabum, M. (2007). Effects of violence on psychological development of students. journal of psychological issues, 2(10), 71-75.
- Makinde, P. (2020). Relationship between community crimes level and the manifestation of anxiety in a referred sample of children. Journal of child health, 1, 171 – 180.
- Mallum, J. O., & Haggai, M. P. (2004). Educational psychology, classroom practice. Ya-Byangs publishers.
- Moses, O. U. (2004). Behaviour therapy: Techniques and empirical findings (10th ed.). Harcourt Bracelovano rich.
- Olarenwaju, O. (2008). Stressful life events and adjustment in urban elementary school children. Journal of chemical child psychology, 23, 391-400. dio: 10.1207/3/53 74424jccp2304-5.
- Onyejere, O. B. (2010). Community violence and school achievement. Graduate seminar Presentation, University of Jos, Nigeria.
- Roesser, V. (2010). Emotional and psycho physiological impact of exposure to community violence in urban adolescents. Journal of child clinical psychology, special section. Violence and youth, 30, 199-206.
- Scholartz, A. G. (2003). Blood pressure studies in adolescent. Preventive medicine, 9, 41-50, doi: 10. 101610091-7435 (8) 90058-4.
- WAEC (2018). West African examination council. Annual statistical report.
- World Health Organizations, (2002). Social cognitive biases and deficits in aggressive boys. World health Report.