Purpose: The purpose of the study was to investigate the effect of recreational physical activities on the five health-related components of physical fitness of adolescents in secondary schools in Gboko Local Government Area.
Methodology: The study employed the Quasi-experimental research design. The population of the study comprised of Twenty-four thousand, six hundred and thirty-four- (24,634) Secondary School adolescents’ students in private and public secondary schools in the 2020/2021 academic session in Gboko Local Government Area. 200 participants (students) were sampled for the study using the multistage sampling technique. The University of Pretoria’s HRF index protocol was used for data collection in the study. The HRF index was used to calculate the health related components of physical fitness of the adolescents. Inferential statistics of t-test was used to analyse the differences in health related components of physical fitness between the Control Group and the study Group at 0.05 level of significance.
Results: Results of the study revealed that: Recreational physical activities have a significant effect on body composition; cardiovascular fitness; muscular strength; muscular endurance and flexibility of adolescents in secondary schools in Gboko Local Government Area.
Recommendations: Based on the findings, it was recommended that adolescents should further improve on their intensity of participation in recreational activities both at home and school in order to maximise total physical fitness.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
- Aceijas, C., Waldhausl, S., Lambert, N., Cassar, S., & Bello-Corassa, R. (2017). Determinants of health-related lifestyles among university students. Perspectives in Public Health, 137(4), 227-236.
- American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM). (2013). ACSM's guidelines for exercise testing and prescription. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.
- American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM). (2018). Guidelines for exercise testing and prescription. ACSM Books.
- Andersen, L. B., Riddoch, C., & Kriemler, S. (2011). Physical activity and cardiovascular risk factors in children. British Journal of Sports Medicine, 45(11), 871–876.
- Andy, W. (2014). The illustrated practical encyclopaedia of fitness training. Hemmes house publishing.
- Bandy, W. D., Irion, J. M., & Briggler, M. (2018). The effect of static stretch and dynamic range of motion training on the flexibility of the hamstring muscles. Journal of Orthopaedic Sports Physical Therapy, 27(4), 295-300.
- Carson, V., Ridgers, H., Howard, R., Winkler, T., Healy, S., & Owen, T. (2013). Light- intensity physical activity and cardiometabolic biomarkers in US adolescents. PLoS ONE 8(8), e71417. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0071417.
- Choueiry, G., Akiki, Z., Lahoud, N., Saadeh, D., Sacre, H., & Salameh, P. (2019). Bias inspector, a free online bias-detecting too provided to researchers by INPECT-LB. https://inspect-il.org/bias/
- Corbin, C., Welk, G., Corbin, W., & Welk, K. (2019). Concepts of fitness and wellness: A comprehensive lifestyle approach (12th Ed.). McGraw Hill.
- Doyle, C.B., Khan, A., & Burton, N.W. (2019). Recreational physical activity context and types preferences among male and female Emirate university students. International Health, 11(6), 507-512. https://doi.org/10.1093/inthealth/ihz002.
- Erfle, S., & Gamble, A. (2015). Effects of daily physical education on physical fitness and weight status in middle school adolescents. Journal of School Health, 85(2), 27-35. https://doi.org/10.1111/josh.12217
- Erwin, H., Fedewa, A., Beighle, A., & Ahn, S. (2012). A quantitative review of physical activity, health, and learning outcomes associated with classroom-based physical activity interventions. Journal of Applied School Psychology, 28(1), 14–36.
- Fatih, H., Jong-Hong, Y., & Iulian, D.A. (2020). Participation in physical activities as recreational activity. Science Movement and Health, 20(2), 113-116.
- Grant, C.C., Jans van Rensburg, D.C., Pepper, M.S., du Toit, P.J., Wood, P.S., Ker, J., Kruger, P.E., Grobbela. C.W., Fletcher, F., Nolte, K., & Grant T.C. (2014). The correlation between the health-related fitness of healthy participants measured at home as opposed to fitness measured by sport scientists in a laboratory. South African Family Practice, 56(4), 235-239.
- Gulam, A. (2016). Recreation: Need and importance in modern society. International Journal of Physiology, Nutrion and Physical Education, 1(2), 157-160.
- Heyward, V.H. (2010). Advanced fitness assessment and exercise prescription (6th ed.). Human Kinetics.
- Holloszy, J. O., & Coyle, E. F. (2021). Adaptations of skeletal muscle to endurance exercise and their metabolic consequences. Journal of Applied Physiology, 56(4), 831-838.
- Institute of Medicine (IOM). (2012). Fitness measures and health outcomes in youth. The National Academic press.
- Jorgić, B., Pantelić, S., Milanović, Z., & Kostić, R. (2011). The effects of physical exercise on the body composition of the elderly: a systematic review UDC. Physical Education and Sport, 9(4), 43 –453.
- Lia, Y., Wub, S. K., Cairneyc, J., & Hsiehd, C. (2011). Motor coordination and health-related physical fitness of children with developmental coordination disorder: A three-year follow-up study. Research in Developmental Disabilities, 32(6), 2993-3002.
- Maciejewski, M.L. (2018). Quasi-experimental design. Biostatistics & Epidemiology, 4(1), 38-47. https://www.tandfonline.com/loi/rbep20
- Mak, K. K., Ho, S. Y., Lo, W. S., Thomas, G. N., McManus, A. M., Day, J. R., & Lam, T. H. (2010). Health-related physical fitness and weight status in Hong Kong adolescents. BMC Public Health, 10(88), 88-99.
- Meenapriya R., Gayathri, V. & Vishnu, V.P. (2018). Effect of regular exercises and health benefits among college students. Drug Invention Today, 10 (7), 1094-1096
- Militão, A. G., Karnikowski, M. G., da Silva, F. R., Militão, E. S., Pereira, R. M., & Campbell, C. S. (2013). Effects of a recreational physical activity and healthy habits orientation program, using an illustrated diary, on the cardiovascular risk profile of overweight and obese school children: A pilot study in a public school in Brasilia, Federal District, Brazil. Diabetes, Metabolic Syndrome and Obesity: Target and Therapy, 6, 445-451.
- Mukesh, K. V . (2020). Physical fitness. Random publication.
- Nwimo, I. O. (2008). Age differences in health-related physical fitness among primary school boys in Okwuato, Aboh Mbaise of Imo State, Nigeria: Implications for health and physical education in the UBE programme. International Council for Health, Physical Education, Recreation, Sport, and Dance Journal of Research, 3(1), 57-61.
- Ogu, O. C., & Ayaji, M.A. (2020). Exercise science, human performance and health education. Enugu University Press.
- Pimlot, N. (2010). The miracle drug. Canadian Family Physician, 56(3), 407-409.
- Pradeep, Y. (2019). Methods of training in sports. Random Publications.
- Rebar, A.L., Stanton, R., Geard, D., Short, C., Duncan, M.J., & Vandelanotte, C. (2015). A meta-meta-analysis of the effect of physical activity on depression and anxiety in non-clinical adult populations. Health Psycology Review, 9(3), 366-378.
- Reyes, M. E. P., Tan, S. K., & Malina, R. M. (2003). Urban–rural contrasts in the physical fitness of school children in Oaxaca, Mexico. American Journal of Human Biology, 15(6), 800-813.
- Rieck, G., & Lundin, J. (2021). Physical fitness. https://med.libertexts.org/Bookshelves/Health-andFitness/Book%3A_Health_Education_(Rienk_and_Lundin)/11%3A_Physical_Fitness/11.01%3A_11.0_Physical_Fitness.
- Sady, S. P., Wortman, M. V., & Blanke, D. (2012). Flexibility training: Ballistic, static or proprioceptive neuromuscular facilitation?. Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, 63(6), 261-263.
- Shaver, P. R., Mikulincer, M., & Shemesh-Iron, M. (2010). A behavioural-systems perspective on prosocial behaviour. In M. Mikulincer & P. R. Shaver (Eds.), Prosocial motives, emotions, and behaviour: The better angels of our nature (pp. 73–91). American Psychological Association.
- Spracklen, K. (2015). Digital leisure, the Internet and popular culture: Communities and identities in a digital age. Palgrave Macmillan
- Suchomel, T.J., Nimphius, S., Bellon, C.R., & Stone, M.H. (2018). The importance of muscular strength: Training considerations. Sports Medicine, 11(4), 11-36. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40279-018-0862-z.
- Taylor, P., & Torkildsen, G. (2011). Leisure and recreation management: Torkildsen's sport and leisure management. (6th ed.) .Routledge.
- Teaching Service Board (TSB), Benue State Ministry Of Education (2021). Students Enrolment, Department of planning, research and Statistics. Student Erolment Handbook. Aboki publishers.
- Thomas, C. G. (2021). Research methodology and scientific writing. Springer.
- Torkildsen, G. (2015). Leisure and recreation management (5th ed). Routledge.
- Trudeau, F., & Shephard, R. J. (2018). Physical education, school physical activity, school sports and academic performance. International Journal of Behaviour, Nutrition and Physical Activity, 5(1), 10-19.
- Tsiros, M. D., Olds, T., & Buckley, J. D. (2019). Health-related quality of life in obese children and adolescents. International Journal of Obesity, 33(4), 387–400.
- University of Californian Health (UC Davies Health). (2021). Flexibility. https://health.ucdavis.edu/sportsmedicine/resources/flexibility_descriprion.html.
- Wald, A., Muennig, P.A., O’Connell, K.A., & Garber, C.E. (2014). Association between healthy lifestyle behaviours and academic performance in U.S undergraduates: a secondary analysis of the American College Health Assoication’s National College Health Assessment II. Ameriacal Journal of Health Promation, 28(5), 298-305.
- Warburton, D.E.R., & Bredin, S.S.D. (2017). Health benefits of physical activity: a systematic review of current systematic reviews. Current Opinion in Cardiology, 32(5), 541-556.
- Withrow, S. J., & MacEwen, E. G. eds. (2017). Small animal clinical oncology. (4th ed). W. B. Saunders.
- Worlth Health Organisation (WHO). (2017). WHO guidelines on physical activity and sedentary behaviour. https://apps.who.int/iris.
- Yadav, S. K. (2012). Health related physical fitness among boys studying in different school of Mathura. Indian Journal of Research, 1(10), 48-50.
- Zhua, Y., Wub, S. K., & Cairneyc, J. (2011). Obesity and motor coordination ability in Taiwanese children with and without developmental coordination disorder. Research in Developmental Disabilities, 32(2), 801-807.