Purpose: This study aimed at investigating the relationship between substance abuse and delinquent behaviour among secondary school students in Dutsin-Ma LGA, Katsina State.
Methodology: Three hundred and eighty-one (381) students were send as sample from three public schools in Dutsin-ma Local Government Area Katsina State. The data collected was analysed using Pearson Product Moment Correlation Coefficient (PPMC) and t-test Statistical analysis was used to analyze the data collected. Substance Abuse Questionnaire (SAQ) and Delinquent Behaviour Questionnaire were Constructed and used in the data collection. The instruments was validated by educational experts while the Substance Abuse Questionnaire (SAQ) have reliability index of 0.81 and Delinquent Behaviour Questionnaire (DBQ) have reliability index of 0.76 respectively.
Results: The findings on substance abuse and delinquent behaviour revealed that r-value is 0.596 and P-value (0.000 <0.5). Therefore, indicated that there was moderate positive relationship between substance abuse and delinquent behaviour among Secondary School Students. On substance abuse, delinquent behaviour and gender, the result showed that p-value of 0.044 is less than 0.05 level of significance at 380 degrees of freedom indicating that there is a significant relationship between substance abuse and delinquent behaviour on the gender basis. On class level, the result revealed that p-value of 0.008 is less than 0.05 level of significance indicating that there is a significant relationship between substance abuse and delinquent behaviour.
Conclusion: The researchers therefore recommended that parents, school, society and government should joint hand in the supervision, monitoring, and guiding students both at home, school and on the streets as well as checkmating their associates and whereabouts.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
- Alabi A. J., & Jumoke O. (2020). Effect of drug abuse on moral behaviour of secondary school students In Ilorin-South LGA Kwara State, Nigeria.
- Al-alwi, A.M.H., & Sheikh, J. (2018). Prevalence of substance abuse among the school students in Al-Dhahirah governorate, Sultanate of Oman. Madridge Journal of Nursing, 3(1), 110-121.
- American Addiction Center (2020). Delinquency and substance abuse. https://alcoholrehab.com/drug-addiction/signs-of-addiction/delinquency-and-substance-abuse/
- Australian Government Department of Health (2021) What are drugs? https://www.health.gov.au/health-topics/drugs/about-drugs/what-are-drugs.
- Bada, S. O. (2017). Fundamentals of child and adolescent psychology: An introductory text. Albarka publishers Ltd.
- Blanco, J. (2020). What is juvenile delinquency?: Definition, theories and facts. https://study.com/academy/lesson/what-is-juvenile-delinquency-definition-theories-facts.html
- Bright, C. L., Sacco, P., & Compton, D. M. (2017). Gender differences in patterns of substance use and delinquency: A latent transition analysis. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5461976/
- Brunelle, N., Tremblay J., MartinN. B., & Gendron, A. (2013). Relationships between drugs and delinquency in adolescence: influence of gender and victimization experiences. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/271624702_Relationships_Between_Drugs_and_Delinquency_in_Adolescence_Influence_of_Gender_and_Victimization_Experiences.
- Buddy, T. (2020). Substance use overview. https://www.verywellmind.com/substance-use-4014640.
- Catherine, S. (2021). Substance abuse and juvenile delinquency: Prevention and correction strategies. https://study.com/academy/lesson/substance-abuse-juvenile-delinquency-prevention-correction-strategies.html.
- Chen, J. (2021) What is drug? https://www.investopedia.com/terms/d/drug.asp.
- Chen, P., & Jacobson, K. (2012). Developmental trajectories of substance use from early adolescence to young adulthood. Gender and Racial/Ethnic Differences of Adolescent Health, 50(2),154-163. DOI:10.1016/j.jadohealth.2011.05.013.
- Content team (2016). Delinquency. https://legaldictionary.net/delinquency.
- Dutsin-Ma Education Quality Assurances Zonal Office (2021). List of student in government secondary schools in DutsinMa Local Government Area Katsina State Nigeria.
- Family and Parenting (2019). Juvenile delinquency: Substance abuse. http://researcharticles.com/index.php/juvenile-delinquency-substance-abuse/.
- Indian Journal of Psychiatry (2016). Substance use and criminality among juveniles-under-enquiry in New Delhi. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4919962/
- Lawal, N., & Aliyu, A. A. (2020). Assessment of causes and effects of drugs and substances abuse among youth: A case study of Katsina metropolis (North West Nigeria). International Neuropsychiatric Disease Journal 14(1), 1-9.
- Lustik, C. (2021). The truth about troubled teens. https://www.verywellmind.com/what-is-happening-to-our-children-2606269.
- Medline plus (2016). Drug use and addiction. https://medlineplus.gov/druguseandaddiction.html.
- Mennis, J., & Mason, M. J. (2012). Social and geographic contexts of adolescent substance use: The moderating effects of age and gender. https://psycnet.apa.org/record/2012-00015-013.
- Morris (2016). Assessing substance abuse among secondary school students in Kendu zone, Homabay County, Kenya. Journal of Health, Medicine and Nursing, 24, 20-26.
- William, C. L. III, (2020). Drug abuse. https://www.healthgrades.com/right-care/substance-abuse-and-addiction/drug-abuse.