Introduction: Principals are expected to exhibit the appropriate leadership skills to attract teachers to maximize input, which might be expressed in the commitment of teachers to their duties and student achievement. Principals with transformational leadership skills have the ability to create job satisfaction and also encourage teachers to be more committed to their duties.
Purpose: The study investigated the effects of transformational leadership practices of principals on the satisfaction and commitments of teachers in Abia state. The four basic elements of transformational leadership which includes; idealized influence of leaders, inspirational motivation& ability to inspire confidence, intellectual stimulation & creativity and individual consideration of group members were looked into.
Design: The study population consisted of 5,047 teachers and 242 principals of both rural and urban government secondary schools in Abia State. A stratified random sampling method was used at a 30% rate to obtained 73 principals and 1,514 teachers, respectively, totaling 1,587 respondents. The instrument used for the study was a questionnaire designed by the researcher titled ‘Principal’s Transformational Leadership Practices on Teacher Job Satisfaction and Commitments Questionnaire' (PTLPTJSCQ).
The questionnaire was administered to teachers and principals in the selected public secondary schools in Abia State. The face validity of the instrument was carried out by two experts in the field.The reliability coefficient obtained was 0.88, and this was determined by applying test-retest reliability and Pearson’s product moment correlation.Mean scores were used to answer research questions, while aggregate mean scores were used to make the final decision.
Results: Findings from the studyrevealed that principal’s transformational leadership practices have a positive effect on teacher’s job satisfaction and commitments in Abia State.
Recommendations: It was recommended that Education Ministries and Boards should establish and implement programmes such as seminars, workshops and so on to develop transformational leadership skills among school principals, among others.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
- Abu, H., & Essawi, M. (2014).Value orientation and leadership styles among secondary school principals in Isreali’s Arap Education System. International Journal of Bussinss Administration, 5 (3), 49-58.
- Anjali, K. T., & Anand, D. (2015). Intellectual stimulation and job commitment: Acase study of IT professional. IUP Journal of Organizational Behaviour, 14(2), 28-41.
- Blackburn, D. (2009). Socio-cultural leadership: The art of restructuring schools through research-based principal leadership. BooktopiaPty Ltd.
- Boon, O. K., Arumugam, N., & Vellapan, Y. (2006). A quantitative analysis of the link between organizational culture and job satisfaction: Evidence from some Malaysian Healthcare Organization. Malaysian Management Review, 41(1), 68-90.
- Burns, J. M. (2008). Transforming leadership: A new pursuit of happiness. Atlantic monthly press.
- Charry, K. (2012). Leadership theories-8 major leadership theories. http://Psychology.about.com/od/leadership/p/lead theories.htm.
- Egbezor, O. (2005). The theories of job satisfaction and productivity. Lola Educational Publishers.
- Emaikwu, S. O. (2014).Foundation of research methods and statistics. Selfers Academic Press Ltd.
- Grace, S. O.,&Kalu, C.O. (2016).Educational Administration and planning.Concepts, theories and practice. Immaculate prints.
- Harris-Boundy, J. (2015). Transformational leadership for employee creativity. Academy of management proceedings, 2015 (1), 19162. http//doi.org/10.5465/ambpp. 2015.19162.
- Kalu, D. C., Okpokwasili, N. P., & Ndo, M. B. (2019). Challenges faced by leaders in improving the job satisfaction of subordinates. Information impact. Journalof Information and Knowledge Management,9 (3), 151. http://doi.org/10.4314/iiji.v9i3.12
- Kearns, M. A. (2005). An x-ray of old and modern leadership: Challenges and prospects. Bliss Prints.
- Khan et al., (2020). Impact of transformational leadership on work performance, burnout and social loafing: A mediation model.Future Business Journal, 6(1), 40-50.https://doi.org/10.1186/s4303-020-00043-8
- Krishnan, V. R. (2005). Transformational leadership and outcomes: Role of relationship duration. Leadership and Organizational Journal, 26(5/6), 442-457.
- Money, V. O. (2017). Effectiveness of transformational leadership style in secondary schools in Nigeria. Journal of Education and Practice, 8 (9), 34-45.
- Nakpodia, E.D. (2010). Influence of communication on administration of secondary schools in Delta State, Nigeria. International NGO Journal, 5(8), 194-198.
- Nwosu, O. (2007). Educational administration: Strategies, synergies and social calculus. Osyora Nigeria Limited.
- Ogbonnaya, N. O. (2003). Principles and applications of Educational Policies.Nsukkauniversity trust publishers.
- Ozaralli, N. (2003). Effects of transformational leadership on empowerment and team effectiveness. Leadership and Organization Development Journal, 24, 335-344.
- Saleh, A. D.,&Kalu, C. O. (2017).Historical development of education in Nigeria. Ayas publishers.
- Sergiovanni, T. (2007).Rethinking leadership. A collection of articles (2nded.). Carwu press.
- Uche, C. M., Nwabueze, A. I., & Ememe, O. N. (2009).Developing entrepreneurial skills among university students: A tool for attaining millennium development goals in south-south states of Nigeria. African Journal of Educational Research and Development (AJERD).3 (2), 54-64.
- Udoeke, B. B. (2005). The management of educational personnel in schools. Total Publishers Ltd.
- Uyanya, A. E. (2007). The principal and education reform agenda of the Nigeria Economic Empowerment Development Strategy (NEEDs). Paper presented at the 2nd Annual National Conference of Association for Encouraging Qualitative Education in Nigeria (ASSEQEN). 9th-11th May.
- Warrilow, S. (2011).Transformational leadership theory: The4 key components in leading change & managing change. http.//ezinearticles.com/.