INTRODUCTION: Since the introduction of credit unit system in our tertiary institutions, indices of performance (Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) has been used as an instrument of assessing students’ performance from one semester to another.
PURPOSE: The purpose of this study is to interpret mathematically the meaning of “up to date total credits units registered” as in the definition of CGPA and its implications on students’ performance in the award of certificate.
METHODOLOGY: The study adopted the comparative research method, the student information book (student Handbook) of various institutions were used as guide on how these institutions defined CGPA. Example was given to illustrate how calculations are done based on the definition given using a Diploma program which is a two years’ program.
RESULTS: The up - to - date total credit units registered may include the carry – over courses which will be included in computing the CGPA of that semester. However, when this method was applied to two students who had scored the same grades, one graduating in normal two years of the program and the other one in three years of the same program due to carry – overs, their final CGPAs were not the same even though they had the same grades in all the courses (see Tables 2, 4, 6 & 7). But when “the up – to - date total credit units prescribed” was used, their final CGPAs were the same (see Tables 8 & 9).
RECOMMENDATIONS: Since the graduates from the various institutions do vie for the same openings on the job market even though different methods were used in computing their CGPA which determined the class of certificate they hold, it is necessary therefore, that the method of computing the CGPA be standardized in this country. This can only be achieved if explicit definition of CGPA is given
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
- ABUZaria (2020). Undergraduate student handbook (2019/2020, 17th edition). Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria, Nigeria. https://www.abu.edu.ng/media/documents/abu-zaria-ug-students-handbook-(updated-july-2021).pdf/.
- Adamawapoly (2019). The students’ handbook: Adamawa State Polytechnic, Yola
- Covenantpoly (2006). Students’ handbook on policies & regulations (2006 edition). Covenant Polytechnic, Aba, Abia State – Nigeria. http://www.covenantpolytechnic.com/Downloads/student%20Hand%20book.pdf/.
- Ezeh, L. (2014). How to calculate GPA in Nigerian Universities & Polytechnics: http://entangle-pair.blogspot.com/2014/10/how-to-calculate-gpa-in-nigerian_7.html/.
- Fedpoly (2011). Academic policy (2010/2011 academic session). The Federal Polytechnic, Bali, Taraba State – Nigeria. Paraclete Publishers.
- FUWukari (2014). Students’ handbook (2013/2014, 2nd revised edition). Federal University Wukari, Taraba State – Nigeria.
- Globalpoly. Student’s Handbook. The Global Polytechnic, Benin City, Edo State Nigeria: https://www.theglobalpolytechnic.edu.ng/DownloadCenter/StudentHandbook.pdf/.
- Hasan, N. A. A., Ahmad, N., & Razak, N. A.A. (2017). Factors that significantly affect college students’ CGPA. International Academic Research Journal of Social Science, 3(1), 77-81.
- Jain, V. K., & Bakshi, S. (2014). Interrogating CGPA: In search of the missing links—suggested alternatives. SAGE Open, 4(4), 1–7.
- Jayanthi, S. V., Balakrishnan, S., Ching, A. L. S., Latiff, N. A. A., & Nasirudeen, A. M. A. (2014). Factors contributing to academic performance of students in a tertiary institution in Singapore. American Journal of Educational Research, 2(9), 752-758.
- Katsinapoly (2018). Students information handbook. Hassan Usman Katsina Polytechnic, Katsina State – Nigeria: https://hukpoly.edu.ng/wp-content/uploads/2021/07/HUKPOLY-STUDENTS-HANDBOOK-REVISED-2018.pdf/.
- Mukadasi, B. (2013): Directorate Of Research And Graduate Training. https://rgt.mak.ac.ug/sites/default/files/GRADUATE%20HANDBOOK%20SEPTEMBER%20%202013.pdf/.
- Nasarawapoly (1999). Students information handbook (1999 edition). Federal Polytechnic, Nasarawa, Nasarawa State – Nigeria. Olumola Press Ltd.
- NCCE,(2012). National commission for colleges of education: Nigeria certificate in education minimum standards for general education, (2012 edition). Federal Ministry of Education.
- Nile (2017). Rules and regulations for undergraduate students. Nile University of Nigeria (Document NO: NUN_RG _001): https://www.nileuniversity.edu.ng/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/NUN_RG_001_Undergraduate-Students.pdf/.
- Oduwole, H. K., Shehu, S. L., Adegoke, G. K., & Osondu, J. A. (2019): Modeling the grade point average (GPA) system in Nigerian Universities.
- Okojie, J. (2014). National Universities Commission: Bench mark minimum academic standards for undergraduate programmes in Nigerian universities education.
- Roksana, A., & Saydur, R. (2020). Factors affecting academic performance of university students: A study among the students of MBSTU: Journal of Economics and Sustainable Development, 11(20),16-25. https://www.iiste.org/Journals/index.php/JEDS/article/download/54496/56310/.
- Tarabapoly (2019). Students’ handbook (revised 2019). Taraba State Polytechnic, Suntai, Taraba State – Nigeria
- Zakaria, R., Satari, S. Z., Damahuri, N. A., & Khairuddin, R. (2019). Descriptive analysis of students’ CGPA: A Case study of Universiti Malaysia Pahang. In IOP conference series: materials science and engineering (Vol. 469, No. 1, p. 012100) 1-9. IOP Publishing