Introduction: School environment is a learning place where the learners learn and interact with learning facilities in order to be socialized and face the challenges in the society.
Purpose: This study was carried out to evaluate on impact of school environment on social development of children with hearing impairment in School for the Deaf, Bassa, Plateau State.
Methodology: The study was carried out with the use of questionnaires from fifty respondents as a method of data collection. The sample drawn from the Population for the study consists of students from students in School for the Deaf, Bassa, Plateau State. The data collected through this medium were analyzed using simple percentage and discussed with explanations.
Results: The study find out Children’s social behaviors depend on several factors both human and physical environment. Classroom teachers and parents contribute immensely to the children’s social behaviors, limited access to both the students and teachers to reading materials, quality of school building and unavailability of good library has great influence on student social development.
Recommendations: It is recommended that adequate classroom building, well-equipped library and other schools facilities should be provided in the school to help promote students social development.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
- Abang, T. B. (2005). Handbook of special education. Fab Educational Books.
- Adeboyeje, R. A. (1994). Managing of school physical facilities. Ibadan Fountain Publication.
- Afari, E. (2015). Relationships between School Climate, bullying and delinquent behaviours. Learning Environments Research, 6(3), 23-35. https://doi.org/10.1007/ s10984-017-9249-6.
- Aguolu, J.(2002). Early childhood development: A multicultural perspective. 5th Edn.Merrill.
- Akpa, G.O., Udoh, S.U., & Fagbamiye, E.O. (2005). Deregulating the Provision and Management of Education in Nigeria. The Nigerian Association for Educational Administration and Planning (NAEAP).
- Aldridge, J., Mcchesney, K., & Afari, E. (2018). Relationships between school climate, bullying and delinquent behaviours. Learning Environments Research, 21(1), 1-20. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10984-017-9249-6
- Ani, M. F. (2016). Developing regression models of driver fatigue using an ergonomics approach. Unpublished master’s thesis). Universiti Teknikal Malaysia Melaka. http://eprints. utem. edu. my/id/eprint/18595
- Ayodele, J.B. (2004). The role of the head teachers in school plant management and maintenance. In E.O. Fagbamiye., J.B, Babaloja, M. Fabunmi & A.O. Ayemi (Eds.), Management of Primary and Secondary Education in Nigeria (pp.93 – 100). NAEAP.
- Chike-Okoli, A. N. (2004). Educational administration and planning: Theory and practice. Shamac Publisher.
- Earthman, G.I. (2004). Prioritization of 31 criteria for school building adequacy. American Civil Liberties Union Foundation of Mary Land. http:www.ac/u.md.org/atop%20issues/education%reform/earthfinal10504 pdf>.
- Erol, R. Y., & Orth, U. (2011). Self-esteem development from4 age 14 to 30 years: A longitudinal study. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 101(3), 607-619.
- Eze, F.N. (2010). Influence of school environment on academic achievement of students of public secondary school in Enugu State. www.unn.edu.ng/publications/files/images/PROJECT%20MR. %20EZE.pdf
- Farrel, A. D.,& Flannery, D. J. (2005). Youth violent prevention are we there yet? Aggresion and Violent Behaviour,11, 138-150.
- Federal Ministry of Education (2004). National policy on education (4thEdtion). NERDC.
- Haley, S. M.,& Baryza, M. J. (1990). A hierarchy of motor outcome assessment: Self-initiated movements through adaptive motor function. Infants and Young Children, 3(2), 1-14.
- Hinum, M. (1999). Strategies for managing educational facilities. Track III of the UEF/P[EB/CAE International Symposium USA.
- Hoffman, L.L., Hutchinson, C.J., Reiss, E. (2009). On improving school climate: Reducing reliance on rewards and punishment. International Journal of Whole Schooling, 5(1), 234-244.
- Ikediashi, A. E. (2002). Influence of physical classroom environment on academic performance of pupils in private and public schools: A case study. African Journal of Educational Research, 2, 11-22.
- Ismail, R., Ghazalli, M.N., & Ibrahim. N. (2015). Not all developmental assets can predict negative mental health outcomes of disadvantaged youth: A case of suburban Kuala Lumpu.
- Lowerfield, R. (2013). Program evaluation of a social skills and self-advocacy program for elementaryage students with hearing loss: Training and advocacy group (TAG). Unpublished report.
- Midgley, M. (2014). Social participation of children and adolescents with cochlear implants: A qualitative analysis of parent, teacher, and child interviews. Journal of Deaf Studies and Deaf Education, 16(4), 474-93.
- Okeke, D. (2001). Victimisation by peers: Antecedents and long term outcomes. In K.H. Rubin & J.B. Asendorpf (Eds.), Social withdrawal, inhibition and shyness in childhood. Erlbaum.
- Okeke, M. (2003). Family and school influences in behavioural development. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 26,349-368.
- Okonkwo, S.N. (1997). Job satisfaction and the work behaviour of the Nigerian teachers. In A.N. Ndu, L.O. Ocho, & B.S Okeke (Eds.), Dynamics of educational administration and management – The Nigerian perspective. Meks Publishers Limited.
- Stricherz, M. (2000). Bricks and mortar boards. Education Week 20(14), 30-32.
- Torelli, L., & Durrett, C. (1996). Landscape for learning: The impact of classroom design on infants and toddlers. Early Childhood News, 8(2), 12-17.
- Turner, E., Chandler, M., & Heffer, R. (2009). The influence of parenting styles, achievement motivation, and self-efficacy on academic performance in college students. Journal of College Student Development, 50(3), 337-346. https://doi.org/10.1353/csd.0.0073.
- Ugwuanyi, J.C. (2003). physical education teacher preparation in Nigeria projections and challeges. Multidisplinary Journal of Research Development, (NARD) – V) (2) 120 – 121.
- Umaruddin, M. (2003). The ethical philosophy of al-Ghazali. Adam Publishers.
- Vuchinich, S. (1997). Parenting, peers and the stability of antisocial behaviour in pre-adolescent boys. Developmental Psychology, 28, 510-521.
- Zakaria, E., Zain, N. M., Ahmad, N. A., & Erlina, A. (2012). Mathematics anxiety and achievement among secondary school students. American Journal of Applied Sciences, 9(11), 18-28. https://doi.org/10.3844/ajassp.2012.1828.1832.