Introduction: The Licensure Examination for Teachers (LET) is a measurement of the quality and excellence of the Teacher Education Institutions (TEIs) the country has produced. Passing the licensure exam brings prestige not only to pre-service physical science teachers but also to the academic institution, as it projects the public the impression of producing quality graduates.
Purpose: The objective of the study is to determine the extent of the factors that contribute to the performance of pre-service physical science teachers in the licensure examination for teachers.
Methodology: The purposive sampling technique was used. Since there are only 34 takers on the Licensure Examination for Teachers (LET) in the year 2012, the author decided to utilize the total enumeration with 6 out of the total population being maximized in the reliability testing. A descriptive method of research design was employed to determine the extent of the contributing factors.
Results: The subsequent results revealed that, in terms of teacher and review class factors, it was rated as high extent. School facilities factor was rated moderately extent and student factor as very high extent. Referring to the significant difference in the extent of the factors on the performance of pre-service physical science teachers in the Licensure Examination for Teachers (LET), it was found that there is no significant difference among the factors.
Recommendations/Classroom Implications: The findings suggest that intensive review classes should be strengthened with a strong focus on the specialization and professional education subject areas as they contribute 40% each of the total result in the LET.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
- Al-Amari, H. G., & Al-Khamees, N. (2015). The Perception of College Students about a Healthy Lifestyle and its Effect on their Health. Journal of Nutrition & Food Sciences. https://www.omicsonline.org/open-access/the-perception-of-college-students-about-a-healthy-lifestyle-and-its-effect-on-their-health-2155-96001000437.php?aid=63506.
- Antiojo. L. (2017). Performance of education graduates in the Licensure Examination for Teachers (LET). International Journal of Social Sciences, 3(2), 1363-1384.
- Best, J.W. & Kahn, J.V. (2006). Research in Education. pdf. https://www.academia.edu/5382594/Research_in_Education_Tenth_Edition_
- Bilbao, P.P., Corpuz, Llagas, A.T. & Salandanan, G.G. (2006). The teaching profession. Lorimar Publishing Company, Inc. Books..
- Bond, T. (2003). Validity and assessment: A Rasch measurement perspective. Metodoliga de lasCienciasdelComportamento, 5(2), 179-194.
- Campbell, D. & Stanley, J. (1963). Experimental and quasi-experimental designs for research. Rand-McNally.
- Quiambao, D.T., Baking, E.G., Buenviaje, L.B., Nuqui, A.V. & Cruz, R.C. (2015). Predictors of Board Exam Performance of the DHVTSU College of Education Graduates.
- Dela Fuente, J.A. & Biñas, L.C. (2020). Teachers’ competence in information and communications technology (ICT) as an educational tool in teaching: An empirical analysis for program intervention. Journal of Research in Education, Science and Technology, 5(2), 61-76.
- Dela Fuente, J.A. (2019). Driving Forces of Students’ Choice in specializing science: a science education context in the Philippines Perspective. The Normal Lights, 13(2), 225-250.
- Dela Fuente, J.A. (2021). Facebook messenger as an educational platform to scaffold deaf students’ conceptual understanding in environmental science subject: A single group quasi-experimental study. International Journal of Education, 14(1), 19-29. doi:10.17509/ije.v14i1.31386.
- Dela Fuente, J.A. (2021). Implementing inclusive education in the Philippines. College teacher experiences with deaf students. Issues in Educational Research, 31(1), 94-110. http://www.iier.org.au/iier31/dela-fuente.pdf
- Ferrer, R.C., Buted, D.R. & Irma, M.C. (2015). Performance of BSEd science graduates in licensure examination for teachers: Basis for a regression. model. Asia Pacific Journal of Multidisciplinary Research, 3(5), 1-6.
- Foronda, M.S. (2017). Predictors of Licensure Examination for Teachers (LET)(LET) performance: A mediation analysis. Association for Computing Machinery.
- Good, C.V. & Scates, D. E. (1972). In Paler-Calmorin, L., & Calmorin, M. A. (1997). Statistics in education and the sciences. Statistics in education and the sciences. Manila, Philippines: Rex Bookstore.
- Li, L.K.Y. (2012). A study of the attitude, self-efficacy, effort and academic achievement of city u students towards research methods and statistics. discovery–ss student. E-Journal, 1(2), 154-183. http://ssweb.cityu.edu.hk/download/RS/E-Journal/journal8.pdf
- Mushtaq, I., Nawaz, S., Mohammad, K., Jinnah, A. & Khan, S. (2012). Factors affecting students’ academic performance, type double blind peer review. International Research Journal, Publication of Global Journals Inc., 12(9), 121-215.
- Quiambao, D.T., Baking, E.G., Buenviaje, L.B., Nuqui, A.V. & Cruz, R.C. (2015). predictors of board exam performance of the dhvtsu college of education graduates. Journal of Business & Management Studies 1(1), 1-4.
- Rabanal, G. (2016). Academic achievement and let performance of the bachelor of elementary education graduates, University of Northern Philippines. International Journal of Scientific and Research Publications, 6(6), 455-461.
- Republic Act 7836: Philippine Teachers Professionalization Act of 1994. An Act to Strengthen the Regulation and Supervision of the Practice of Teaching in the Philippines and Prescribing a Licensure Examination for Teachers (LET) and for other Purposes. https://pcw.gov.ph/republic-act-7836-philippine-teachers-professionalization-act-of-1994/
- Republic Act No. 4670 June 18, 1966. The Magna Carta for Public School Teachers. https://www.lawphil.net/statutes/repacts/ra1966/ra_4670_1966.html
- Ricote, E.E. (2008). Philippine public administration as a field of study: Enduring and emerging areas, challenges and prospects. Philippine Journal of Public Administration, 52(2-4), 167-194.
- Rudio, V.O. (2016). Performance of teacher education graduates, DMMMSU-NLUC, Philippines in the Licensure Examination CY 2011 to 2013. International Journal of Critical Reviews, 6(3), 1-
- Salandanan, G.G. (2009). Teacher education. QC, KATHA Publishing Co., Inc.
- Salandanan, G.G. (2005). Teaching and the teacher. Adriana Printing Co., Inc.
- Shuttleworth, M. (2015). Internal consistency reliability. https://explorable.com/internal-consistency-reliability
- Svartdal, F., Granmo, S. & Faerevaag, F. S. (2018). On the behavioral side of procrastination: Exploring behavioral delay in real-life settings.Frontiers in Psychologyl, 9:746. DOI:10.3389/fpsyg.2018.00746.
- Visco, D.A. (2020). Predictors of performance in the licensure examination for teachers. Asian Journal of Multidisciplinary Studies, 3(1), 35-40.
- Weimer, M. (2014). Students and attention: An interesting analysis. https://www.facultyfocus.com/articles/teaching-and-learning/students-attention-interesting-analysis/