Introduction: Past studies have assessed widely the teachers' involvement in school-based decision-making. However, some studies have associated it with subject choices and teacher variables.
Purpose: The thrust of this study was to determine the relationship between management practices and organizational effectiveness of teachers in public secondary schools.
Methodology: The research was conducted in Calabar South Local Government Area of Cross River State, Nigeria. To give direction to this study, three hypotheses arising from the three specific purposes of the study were formulated. The correlation research design was adopted in this study. The study conducted a census on the entire population of 431 public secondary school teachers. The instrument for data collection was titled “Management Practices and Organizational Effectiveness of Teachers Questionnaire (MPOETQ)”. The null hypotheses formulated for the study were tested at the .05 level of significance using Pearson Product Moment Correlation.
Results: It was found that principals' communication, motivation and participatory decision-making practices had a significant and positive relationship with the organizational effectiveness of teachers in terms of punctuality, completion of scheme of work/diary, preparation of lesson plans, classroom management, lesson delivery, assessment of students, administration of examinations, involvement in PTA, involvement in extra-curricular activities and preparation/issuance of terminal results to students respectively.
Recommendations/Classroom Implications: Based on these findings, it was recommended that school principals, as well as the government, should ensure that there is an effective display of situational management practices where a situation in the school system should warrant the application of management practice that suits such a situation.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
- Adeogun, S. O., Abiona, B. G., Ajayi, T. D., & Amuludun, W. (2017). Effects of organizational communication styles on employees job performance in Ogun-Osun River Basin Development Authority (OORBDA), Ogun State, Nigeria. Journal of Humanities, Social Sciences and Creative Arts, 10(2), 183–190.
- Allen, N. J., & Meyer, J. P. (1990). The measurement and antecedents of affective, continuance and normative commitment to the organization. International Journal of Occupational Psychology, 63, 1-18. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.2044-8325.1990.tb00506.x
- Arop, F. O., Mbon, U. F., Ekanem, E. E., Ukpabio, G. E., Uko, E. S., Okon, J. E. (2020). School management practices, teachers’ effectiveness, and students’ academic performance in Mathematics in secondary schools of Cross River State, Nigeria. Humanities and Social Sciences Letters, 8 (3), 298-309. https://doi.org/10.18488/journal.73.2020.83.298.309.
- Arop, F. O., Owan, V. J., & Ekpang, M. A. (2018a). Effective communication management and the performance of tertiary institutions in Cross River State, Nigeria. International Journal of Current Research, 10 (7), 72019–72023. https://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.4320480.
- Arop, F. O., Owan, V. J., & Ekpang, M. A. (2018b). School hazards management and teachers’ job effectiveness in secondary schools in Ikom Local Government Area, Cross River State, Nigeria. International Journal of Education and Evaluation, 4 (9), 38–49. https://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.4320554.
- Asuquo, M. E., & Ekpoh, U. I. (2018). Leadership variables and teachers’ job performance in public secondary schools in Calabar Education Zone of Cross River State. Prestige Journal of Counselling Psychology,1 (1), 25-35. https://bit.ly/3eB5lM5.
- Asuquo, M. E., & Emu, W. H. (2020). Classroom management competencies and institutional effectiveness of public secondary schools in Odukpani Local Government Area of CrossRiver State, Nigeria. Prestige Journal of Education, 3 (1), 112-120. https://bit.ly/3qRtvVm.
- Asuquo, M. E., & Okon, E. E. (2020). Administration of teachers’ capacity building for global relevance: A case of Cross River State, Nigeria. DELU Journal of Educational Research and Development (DJERD), 17 (2), 347-355. https://bit.ly/3cstp0Z.
- Atambo, W. N., & Momanyi, D. K. (2016). Effects of internal communication on employee performance: A case study of Kenya Power and Lighting Company, South Nyanza Region, Kenya. Imperial Journal of Interdisciplinary Research (IJIR), 2 (5), 328–340.
- Bassey, B. A., Owan, V. J., & Eze, E. A. (2019). Nexus between students’, teachers’ and school system effectiveness: Construction and factorial validity of a measuring instrument. British Journal of Education, 7 (7), 62–75. https://tinyurl.com/y3hr7jd3.
- Edet, A. O., & Asuquo, M. E. (2019). Principals’ management ability and institutional sustainability of public secondary schools in Cross River State, Nigeria. Prestige Journal of Counselling Psychology,2 (1), 106-115. https://bit.ly/38D06Yz.
- Ekpoh, U. I., & Asuquo, M. E. (2016). Principals, administrative behaviour and teachers’ accountability in public secondary schools in Calabar South Local Government Area of Cross River State, Nigeria. International Journal of Educational Administration, Planning and Research (IJEAPR), 8 (2), 54-66. http://bit.ly/2Ot6MSd.
- Ekpoh, U. I., & Asuquo, M. E. (2018). Principals' transformational leadership practices as determinants of organizational commitment and value re-orientation among secondary school teachers. International Journal of Education, Learning and Development, 6(2),26-40. https://bit.ly/3eI4Os1.
- Etor, C. R., & Etudor-Eyo, E. (2016). Effect of motivation by heads of departments on staff job behaviour in Akwa Ibom State College of Education. Global Journal of Human Resource Management, 4(4), 46-55.
- Gemechu, D. (2014). The practices of teachers’ involvement in decision-making in government secondary schools of Jimma Town. Unpublished M.Ed. Thesis, (Jimma University, Ethiopia), Ethiopia. http://bit.ly/2NeAB8m.
- Idaka, I. I., &Anagbogu, G. (2012). Research design. In A. J. Isangedighi (Ed),Essentials of research and statistics in Education and Social Sciences (pp.64-76). Eti-Nwa Associates.
- Isangedighi, A. J., Joshua, M. T. Asim, A. E., & Ekuri, E. E. (2004). Fundamentals of research and statistics in education and social sciences. University of Calabar Press.
- Justice, M. (2018). The relationship between administrator interpersonal skills and school climate, student learning, and teacher retention. Unpublished PhD. Dissertation, (Gardner-Webb University School of Education). https://bit.ly/3lgSy2B
- Koula, V. (2015), Interpersonal relationship between teachers and between principals and teachers: Factors in the all-round development of the students’ personality. Humanities and Social Sciences Review, 4 (1), 481–495. https://bit.ly/3rHEbXE.
- Lodisso, S. L. (2019). The effects of interpersonal relationship on employees’ job satisfaction: The case of Education Department, Hawassa City Administration. IOSR Journal of Business and Management (IOSR-JBM), 21 (3), 21-27. https://bit.ly/3lgjwYn.
- Marshall, I. A. (2015). Principal leadership style and teacher commitment among a sample of secondary school teachers in Barbados. Journal of Arts & Humanities, 4 (5), 43-58. http://bit.ly/3ldUjhb.
- Mbon, U. F., Ukpabio, G. E., Ekanem, E. E., Okon, J. E., Uko, E. S., Ngaji, M. N., & Okon, E. E. (2020). Wastage of school material resources and secondary school system effectiveness: Evidence from a survey in Nigeria. Humanities and Social Sciences Letters, 8 (3), 264–279. https://doi.org/10.18488/journal.73.2020.83.264.279.
- Mosheti, P. A. (2013). Teacher participation in school decision-making and job satisfaction as correlates of organizational commitment in senior schools in Botswana. Unpublished Ph. D. Dissertation, (Andrews University), Botswana.
- Nebo, C. S., Nwankwo, P. N., & Okonkwo, R. I. (2015). The role of effective communication on organizational performance: A study of Nnamdi Azikiwe University. Review of Public Administration and Management, 4 (8), 131–148.
- Ngussa, B. M., & Gabriel, L. (2017). Participation in decision making and teachers’ commitment: a comparative study between public and private secondary schools in Arusha Municipality, Tanzania. American Journal of Educational Research, 5(7), 801-807. https://doi.org/10.12691/education-5-7-17.
- Nwosu, J. C. (2017). Motivation and teachers' performance in selected public secondary schools in Ikenne Local Government Area of Ogun State. British Journal of Psychology Research, 5(3), 40-50.
- Okon, J. E., & Asuquo, M. E (2017). Principals’ transformational leadership ability and teachers’ productivity in public secondary schools in Calabar Metropolis, Cross River State, Nigeria. Trends in Educational Studies (TRES), 10(1&2), 13-22. https://bit.ly/3bLpJsk
- Okorie, U. A., &Usulor, V. I. (2016). Analysis of principals' motivational practices for teachers’ effectiveness in public and private secondary schools in Ebonyi State, Nigeria. Public Policy and Administration Research, 6 (2), 74-83.
- Olurotimi, O. J., Asad, K. W., & Abdulrauf, A. (2015). Motivational factors and teachers’ commitment in public secondary schools in Mbale Municipality. Journal of Education and Practice, 6 (15), 117-122. https://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/EJ1079975.pdf.
- Osim, R. O., &Etor, C. R. (2016). Administrators’ related variables and teachers’ task performance in secondary schools in Cross River State, Nigeria. International Journal of Educational Administration, Planning and Research (IJEAPR), 8 (1), 301-308.
- Owan, V. J. (2018). Conflict management strategies and secondary school teachers' job effectiveness in Obubra Local Government Area of Cross River State, Nigeria. B.Ed. Project (University of Calabar), Calabar, Nigeria. https://doi.org/10.13140/RG.2.2.35015.55200
- Owan, V. J., & Ekpe, M. B. (2019). Disciplinary management in public primary schools and teachers’ job effectiveness in Yakurr Local Government Area, Cross River State, Nigeria. World Journal of Vocational Education and Training, 1(1), 1–10. https://doi.org/10.18488/journal.119.2019.11.1.10.
- Owan, V. J., Duruamaku-dim, J. U., Ekpe, M. B., Owan, T. J., & Agurokpon, D. C. (2019). School characteristics and secondary school teachers’ work effectiveness in Abi Local Government Area of Cross River State. American Journal of Education and Information Technology, 3(1), 25–31. https://doi.org/10.11648/j.ajeit.20190301.15
- Owan, V. J., Ekpe, M. B., & Bassey, B. A. (2020). Staff placement, retraining and motivation as predictors of secondary educators’ affective, continuance and normative job commitment: A path analytic study. Journal of the Social Sciences, 23(02), 551–563.
- Owan, V. J., Ekpenyong, J. A., & Asuquo, M. E. (2021). A structural equation model of principals’ communication patterns, funds management and school-community relationship. Journal of Pedagogical Sociology and Psychology, 3(1), 1–18. https://doi.org/10.33902/JPSP.2020364435.
- Robert, I. A., & Owan, V. J. (2019). Students’ perception of teachers effectiveness and learning outcomes in Mathematics and Economics in secondary schools of Cross River State, Nigeria. International Journal of Contemporary Social Science Education (IJCSSE), 2(1), 157–165. https://bit.ly/2VbLzfK.
- Salleh, S. M., Zahari, A. S. M., Said, N. S. M., & Ali, S. R. O. (2016). The influence of work motivation on organizational commitment in the workplace. https://bit.ly/3vhaTkZ.
- Sarafidou, J., & Chatziioannidis, G. (2013). Teacher participation in decision making and its impact on school and teachers.International Journal of Educational Management, 27(2),170-183. https://doi.org/10.1108/09513541311297586.
- Sharma, K. K. (2015). Human resources, its classification and categorization. Indian Journal of Management & Economics, 5 (1), 19–24. www.hdawi.com/
- Szostek, D. (2019). The impact of the quality of interpersonal relationships between employees on counterproductive work behaviour: A study of employees in Poland. Sustainability, 11(21), 1-33. https://doi.org/10.3390/su11215916
- Tadesse, E. F. (2019). Teachers’ organizational commitment at secondary school in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. International Journal of Education andResearch, 7(4),53-68. http://www.ijern.com/journal/2019/April-2019/05.pdf.
- Ukpong, U. U., & Uchendu, C. C. (2012). Motivational strategies and possible influence on secondary school teachers' teaching performance. Global Journal of Educational Research, 11(2), 137-142. https://doi.org/10.4314/gjedr.v11i2.9
- Wadesango, N., Mutekwe, E., Ndofirepi, A., Maphosa, C., &Machingambi, S. (2015). Involvement of teachers in school-based decision-making processes of choice of subjects. International Journal of Educational Sciences,8 (3), 645-653, https://doi.org/10.1080/09751122.2015.11890285.
- Wadesango, W. (2017). The relationship between teacher participation in decision-making and organisational commitment. Journal of Social Sciences, 31(3), 337-344. https://doi.org/10.1080/09718923.2012.11893043.
- Wang, Y. (2011). The role of communication in enhancing employees’ organizational commitment: exploring the relationship between social-emotional-oriented communication, work-oriented communication and organizational commitment in China. Unpublished Master’s Thesis, Uppsala University, Sweden. https://bit.ly/3lcuk9Z.